You’re trying to print a shipping label via eBay and you’re getting the “Error Creating Label” message.
What does this mean exactly, why are you seeing this error message and what can you do to solve it?
Let’s take a look…
Summary: eBay “Error Creating Label”
The eBay“Error creating label” message means that a problem has occurred in the system that prevents the label from being issued. Causes include incorrect or incomplete addresses, shipping anomalies, payment problems, technical glitches, and more.
Guide: eBay “Error Creating Label”
The “Error Creating Label” message on eBay typically appears when a seller is trying to generate a shipping label for an item they have sold.
Instead of smoothly producing the label, eBay displays this error message, preventing the seller from completing the shipping process.
While the exact wording of the message may vary, the essence of the problem remains the same: eBay is unable to create the shipping label due to an error.
Causes of the Error
So what is the root cause of the issue?
Unfortunately, it could be down to one of many problems occuring with the shipment.
1. Address Issues
One of the most common reasons for the “Error Creating Label” message is an issue with the buyer’s shipping address.
If the address provided by the buyer is incorrect, incomplete, or contains formatting errors, eBay’s label creation process may fail.
This is because the system cannot generate a label without a valid destination address.
2. Payment Problems
Another frequent cause is payment-related issues. If the buyer has not completed the payment for the item, eBay may restrict certain functions, including label creation.
Ensure that the buyer has paid for the item before attempting to create a label.
3. Technical Glitches
As with any online platform, technical glitches can occur.
Temporary server problems, software bugs, or issues with your browser or device can all lead to the “Error Creating Label” message.
These problems are usually temporary and may resolve themselves with time.
4. Insufficient Funds in the Seller’s Account
Sometimes, sellers may encounter this error if their PayPal account, linked to eBay for transactions, has insufficient funds to cover the cost of shipping labels.
Ensure that your PayPal account has enough balance or a linked payment method for label creation.
5. Shipping Restrictions
Certain items or categories on eBay may have shipping restrictions or specific shipping requirements.
If your item falls into one of these categories, you may need to adjust your shipping settings or comply with specific regulations to create a label successfully.
- Related Content: USPS “Processing Exception Other Delay” – Meaning
Solutions to Resolve the Label-Creating Issue
The above list of reasons for the error is hardly insurmountable. After you have determined what the problem is, it is normally quite simple to resolve.
To this end, you can try the following:
1. Double Check the Shipping Address
Verify that the buyer’s shipping address is accurate and properly formatted. If there are any issues, contact the buyer and request the correct information.
Update the shipping address in eBay’s system and then attempt to create the label again.
2. Confirm Payment
Ensure that the buyer has completed the payment for the item. If not, communicate with the buyer to resolve any payment issues.
Once the payment is confirmed, you should be able to proceed with label creation.
3. Wait and Retry
If you suspect a temporary technical issue on eBay’s end, wait for a while and try creating the label again later.
Clear your browser cache, refresh the page, or try a different browser/device to rule out any local issues.
Check PayPal Balance
If your PayPal account is linked to eBay for label payments, make sure it has sufficient funds or a valid payment method.
Add funds to your PayPal account if necessary to cover the label’s cost.
Review Shipping Restrictions
If you are selling items with specific shipping requirements, carefully review eBay’s policies and ensure your listing complies.
Adjust your shipping settings accordingly to match the item’s category and shipping restrictions.
- Related Content: Evri Tracking Number Not Working – What to Do?
eBay “Error Creating Label” on International Packages
Unfortunately, the “Error Creating Label” message can also occur when attempting to create shipping labels for international packages on eBay.
This can be a result of more complex issues than the ones listed above.
If you receive the error and you are sending a package overseas, you may want to consider the following when trying to get to the bottom of the error.
1. Address Format and Completeness
International shipping often involves more complex address formats than domestic shipping.
If the buyer’s international address is not correctly formatted or lacks essential information, eBay may encounter difficulties in generating the label.
Ensure that you have all the necessary address details, including postal codes, regions, and any other relevant information, to avoid address-related issues.
- Related Content: The “Customs Retention or Investigation” Tracking Alert
2. Customs Documentation
International shipments require customs documentation, such as customs declarations or commercial invoices, depending on the destination country’s regulations.
If you haven’t completed or provided the required customs documentation, eBay may prevent label creation.
Make sure you have all the necessary customs forms and information ready before attempting to create an international label.
3. Restricted Items and Import Regulations
Some items are restricted or prohibited from being shipped internationally, and each country may have specific import regulations.
If you are trying to ship an item that falls into these categories, eBay may prevent label creation.
Verify that your item is eligible for international shipping to avoid encountering this issue.
4. International Shipping Settings
Check your eBay account settings to ensure that you have international shipping options enabled for your listings.
If you have restricted your listings to domestic shipping only, you won’t be able to create international labels.
5. Customs Fees and Taxes
Be aware that international shipments may be subject to customs fees, import taxes, or duties.
If these fees are not paid or accounted for during the label creation process, it can result in errors.
Familiarize yourself with the customs requirements and communicate with the buyer about any potential fees.
Shipping Carrier Restrictions
Different shipping carriers may have varying requirements and restrictions for international shipments.
Ensure that you are using a shipping carrier that supports the destination country and complies with their rules and regulations.
At the end of the day, while the “Error Creating Label” message can occur for both domestic and international shipments on eBay, there is no doubt that international shipping introduces additional complexities.
Address formats, customs documentation, and international regulations can all come along to bite you on the proverbial ass.
You have been warned. 🙂
eBay or USPS for Printing Shipping Labels?
Finally, a question that some eBay sellers may have is whether they are better off printing labels via eBay or heading straight to USPS.
Essentially, the answer to this depends on your specific needs and preferences, (sorry to sit on the fence).
Here are some considerations for each approach that might help you determine whats best for you.
Creating Shipping Labels through eBay:
- Integration: eBay provides a convenient and integrated platform for sellers. You can manage your listings, sales, and shipping all in one place.
- Automated Data Entry: eBay often pre-fills shipping information based on the buyer’s address, making it easier and faster to create labels.
- Discounted Rates: eBay offers discounted shipping rates through its partnerships with carriers like USPS, UPS, and FedEx. These rates may be more competitive than what you’d get on the USPS website.
- Transaction History: You can easily access shipping information and transaction history within your eBay account.
- Seller Protections: eBay offers seller protections for items shipped using their label creation system, which can be advantageous in case of disputes.
Creating Shipping Labels through the USPS Website:
- Full Control: Using the USPS website gives you more direct control over the shipping process. You can choose from a wider range of USPS services and customize your shipments to your liking.
- Address Verification: USPS’s address verification system may catch address errors or discrepancies more effectively than eBay’s.
- Access to All USPS Services: While eBay provides access to many USPS services, the USPS website allows you to explore additional options, including specialty services and international shipping solutions.
- Customization: If you have specific packaging needs or want to explore USPS services beyond what eBay offers, the USPS website allows for more customization.
- Payment Flexibility: With the USPS website, you have more flexibility in how you pay for postage, including the use of postage meters or pre-paid postage accounts.
So, the choice between eBay and the USPS website for label creation depends on your priorities.
eBay is often more convenient and offers competitive rates, making it a great choice for many sellers.
However, if you have unique shipping needs or prefer more control over the process, using the USPS website might be the better option.
I’ll leave it up to you to decide…
- Related Content: USPS: Label Created Not Yet in System
I’m a 25 year veteran of USPS. I’m retired now, but as the editor of Mailbox Master, I can’t quite remove myself from the carrier industry just yet. 🙂