What time does USPS Informed Delivery update?
This is an relevant question when keeping tracking of incoming mail items, especially for anything important where you wish to view a scanned image of the mail before arrival.
Let’s take a look…
Summary: What Time Does Informed Delivery Update?
Informed Delivery sends updates once per day, usually before 9 a.m. It updates every day a customer has mail due to arrive. There are no updates if there is no mail on its way to the account holder’s address. Informed Delivery does not update on Sundays and federal holidays.
Where to find Informed Delivery Updates?
Customers that have signed up for Informed Delivery will receive updates in to their email inbox.
You can also log into your online dashboard whenever you wish to check for updates.
The important issue here is that you will need to signup for the service, (more on that below).
As mentioned above, the fact Informed Delivery only updates once a day, means there is little point checking your dashboard after you have received that day’s update.
Scanned documents will only be updated once per day.
- Related Content: How Often is Media Mail Inspected? (USPS)
What is USPS Informed Delivery?
USPS Informed Delivery is a free service offered by the United States Postal Service that provides customers with a digital preview of their incoming mail.
t’s a convenient tool that offers insight into your mailbox before you even open it.
Here’s how it works:
- Sign Up: To use USPS Informed Delivery, you need to sign up for an account on the USPS website. The sign-up process is simple and only requires some basic information.
- Verify Identity: USPS will send you a verification code via mail to ensure your identity. Once you receive it, input the code online to complete the registration process.
- Digital Previews: After registration, you will start receiving digital previews of your incoming mail. These previews are usually grayscale images of the front side of each piece of mail.
- Daily Email Notifications: USPS sends daily email notifications with a summary of the mail you can expect to receive that day. This email typically arrives in the morning, allowing you to plan your day accordingly.
- Access to Dashboard: You can also log in to your Informed Delivery account anytime to view your digital mail previews, tracking information for packages, and more.
- Related Content: How Long Does USPS Hold Packages? A Complete Guide
Understanding How Informed Delivery is Updated
A common questions about USPS Informed Delivery is, “What time does it update?”
As mentioned earlier, the timing of Informed Delivery updates normally occur at the beginning of the business day, (by 9.am).
However, understanding the process will give you a better idea of how and when updates take place.
- Local Post Office: Updates may depend on your local post office’s operations. Informed Delivery previews are generated at the post office level, so the timing can vary from one area to another.
- Processing Time: USPS scans and processes mail at different times of the day. Generally, the updates are generated early in the morning before mail delivery begins.
- Email Delivery Time: USPS sends daily email notifications containing your Informed Delivery updates. These emails are typically delivered in the early morning hours, often before 9 AM.
- Time Zone: The time zone in which your local post office is located can also influence when you receive updates. If you live on the East Coast, for example, you may receive updates earlier than someone on the West Coast.
- System Delays: Occasionally, there may be delays in the Informed Delivery system due to technical issues or other factors. These delays are usually temporary and are resolved by USPS as quickly as possible.
- Package Tracking: If you have packages being delivered through USPS, you can track their progress in real-time on the USPS website or app. This tracking information is usually updated throughout the day.
To ensure you receive timely Informed Delivery updates, it’s a good idea to check your email in the morning and log in to your Informed Delivery account until you have seen that day’s update.
This way, you can stay informed about your incoming mail and packages.
- Related Content: USPS Says Delivered But No Package
How to Use USPS Informed Delivery
Using USPS Informed Delivery is relatively straightforward once you’ve signed up for an account.
Here are the steps to access and use the service effectively:
- Sign In: Visit the USPS Informed Delivery website and sign in to your account using your username and password.
- View Mail Previews: Once you’re logged in, you can view your digital mail previews. These will show you the front side of the envelopes and packages that are scheduled for delivery.
- Expand Details: Click on any mail preview to expand the details. You can see a larger image, check the sender’s address, and even track packages if they have tracking numbers.
- Manage Notifications: Customize your notification settings to receive email alerts about incoming mail and packages. You can choose to receive daily email summaries and delivery notifications for specific items.
- Redeem Coupons: Some Informed Delivery previews include digital coupons and offers from advertisers. You can click on these offers to learn more and redeem them.
- Hold Mail: If you’re going out of town, you can use Informed Delivery to schedule a hold on your mail to prevent your mailbox from overflowing while you’re away.
- Interactive Campaigns: Participate in interactive campaigns offered through Informed Delivery, where you can engage with digital content related to your mail.
- Related Content: USPS: Label Created Not Yet in System
Setting Up USPS Informed Delivery Notifications
Getting timely notifications is a vital step to making the most of USPS Informed Delivery.
This will also help prevent you from needing to login to your account on a regular basis while you wait for updates.
Here’s how to set up and manage notifications:
- Log In: Sign in to your USPS Informed Delivery account.
- Go to Notifications: Navigate to the “Notifications” or “Notification Settings” section of your account dashboard.
- Choose Preferences: Select your notification preferences. You can choose to receive daily email summaries, delivery notifications, or both.
- Manage Email Addresses: Ensure that your email address is correct in your profile settings to receive notifications at the right address.
- Customize Alerts: You can customize your notifications further by selecting which types of mail you want to be alerted about. For example, you can choose to receive notifications for packages only or for all mail items.
- Save Changes: After making your selections, be sure to save your changes to update your notification preferences.
Troubleshooting USPS Informed Delivery
While USPS Informed Delivery is a valuable service, occasional issues may arise.
Here are some common troubleshooting tips:
- Missing Previews: If you’re not receiving Informed Delivery previews, ensure that you’ve verified your identity using the verification code sent by USPS. If you’ve already done this, contact USPS customer support for assistance.
- Delayed Updates: If you’re experiencing delays in updates, consider checking your local post office’s hours of operation. Updates are often generated before mail delivery begins, so they may be delayed if your local post office operates later in the morning.
- Incorrect Previews: If you notice that the mail previews are incorrect or not matching the actual mail you receive, contact USPS customer support for resolution.
- Email Notifications: If you’re not receiving email notifications, check your email’s spam folder to ensure that USPS emails are not being filtered as spam. You can also add USPS as a trusted sender in your email settings.
- Changing Address: If you move to a new address, update your Informed Delivery account with the new address to continue receiving updates.
- Technical Issues: If you encounter technical issues with the Informed Delivery website or app, try clearing your browser cache or updating the app to the latest version.
USPS Informed Delivery is a powerful tool that offers convenience, security, and control over your postal deliveries.
While the exact timing of updates can vary, more often than not you can expect them before 9am on any USPS business day.
By signing up, customizing your notifications, and troubleshooting any issues that arise, you can make the most of this helpful service.
- Related Content: I Lost My USPS Tracking Number – Full Guide
I’m a 25 year veteran of USPS. I’m retired now, but as the editor of Mailbox Master, I can’t quite remove myself from the carrier industry just yet. 🙂